Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Heart Shirt Disaster

I saw this on polyvore the other day and decided I should make something like it.



I had a baggy, long-sleeved white shirt I got from the goodwill last week that I thought would work. I knew that I should have used fabric paint or screen ink, but I didn't have any around and didn't have time  (and was too lazy) to take the bus to the craft store. So I ended up using a red sharpie I found in the common room. I printed out a huge heart and got it all set up, then embarked on the arduous of making a million sharpie dots to fill the entire thing. I felt a bit like George Seurat.



The first sharpie died so I had to buy a second one, which resulted in super uneven ink distribution because it was all pale where I used the old one and dark where I used the new one. I finally finished it, and although it was pretty splotchy, I was fairly happy with the outcome. That is until I washed it with a little Woolite in the sink and the entire thing turned bright pink.

All in all, I still like the concept, so hopefully someday I will make it correctly.

I feel like a lot of my crafting ideas come to fruition in a manner similar to this, I get an idea, figure out how to do it but fail to acquire the proper supplies, and then fail. I never learn.

1 comment:

  1. dude, i can show you. you'll just need another shirt, a stencil done on freezer paper, an iron, a stencil brush, and some red fabric paint. you can iron the freezer paper stencil waxy-side down so it adheres to the fabric and helps prevent seepage from the excess paint. depending on how dark/thick you want the spots to be, you can put down a piece of old nylons on top of the shirt and stencil combo, and then proceed to dab the paint on. if you get white fabric/acrylic/speedball, you can mix it with the red to get dif shades. when you're done, just let it dry, peel off the stencil, and then put a towel over the design and heat-set it with the iron for like three to five minutes, and you're good to go.

    ps: i have an iron and brushes.

    ReplyDelete