Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Beard Hat

Quite a long time ago my friend emailed me this picture in the hopes I could make it for him.


At the time, I was blissfully optimistic about making it, but I soon realized I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I asked my mom's friend who was an avid knitter at the time if she could help me, however she had only ever made sweaters so she didn't know how to help. On a side note, this woman is ridiculous, her first project EVER was a sweater, not a scarf or hat, a full sweater. Jesus.

So for the time, I was defeated. But that was last year.


I present the beard hat. AND AND AND the beard is removable.



 The beard buttons on the side of the hat, so you don't have to look silly all the time. I realize the hat is hard to see, but it's just a basic black beanie. 

My favorite part is the curly moustache.

Pattern:
(Hat)
Use any simple beanie and add two buttons on either side a couple inches apart

(Beard)
Cast on 22 stitches (or gage accordingly, this is a cast on so you will be knitting the long way with not too many rows) on 9.0 mm needles leaving a relatively long tail
Row 1: K rept til end
Repeat row 1 12(ish) times depending on how wide you want the beard
Bind off leaving a long tail
Use the long tail to create two loops on each of the skinny sides to serve as button holes (I was lazy and just tied  and weaved them, but I'm sure there's a better was to do it)
Weave in any remaining ends

At this point you should try the hat on with the beard and mark where you will want the moustache

(Moustache)
Fingerknit  a length of yarn (depends on how curly you want the moustache)
Fingerknit the fingerknitted yarn (so it is fingerknitted fingerknitting)
Spiral in the ends until you have a shape you like and sew onto the beard 

Yarn:
Um, I actually have no idea, I bought it over break and I didn't even think to save the label. All I can tell you is that it's awfully thick and brown. Oh, and it's from Michael's. The specific yarn isn't that special, I'm sure you could make this with just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment