Thursday, August 18, 2011

Missing Magazines

I remember when I started reading magazines around the age of about ten. I was really into a pre-teen magazine called J-14, which I decided was an inappropriate name because, even when I liked it, I really could't imagine anyone reading it past the age of 12 (spontaneous wikipedia research tells me that I was a little bit off and J-14 in fact stands for Just for Teens). Anyway, it took only a few months to realize that my older sister's magazines were way cooler than mine. So I picked my favorite of hers, Jane, and added Vogue and Harper's Bazaar to the rotation (and I kept every single one for years. In fact, I only, begrudgingly, got rid of them right before I left for college). I also started reading anything that caught my eye in bookstores and every magazine that came to my house, which, I can say after many issues, weren't always gems. Unfortunately, there came a time when we just stopped renewing our subscriptions and finding the time to lounge around and read a magazine didn't seem as easy as it had in the past. (Not including the special, pricey fashion magazines that I still hoard from time to time)



Lately, I've been thinking back to that time when I used to sit around and just read those magazines for hours with friends, by myself, and basically always instead of being on a computer (not that it was possible for me to do most of the things that I do on the internet these days). I just really loved magazines and reading them was always one of the best parts of my day. While I appreciate technology and all that I can do with the internet, including the ability to read those same magazines electronically, nothing could ever replace reading them in print (and the best way to remember this if forgotten, is to pick up a magazine and read it cover to cover).




No comments:

Post a Comment